Tuesday, January 29, 2013

narcissus no more

Narcissus No More, 60" x 48", acrylic, pastel, charcoal, paper on canvas, 2013

I finally finished my painting from the model whose pose was interrupted by Sandy.  I felt conflicted with the model, and it was seen in my sculpture of him.  Someone suggested that I made him older than he actually was, and when I looked around the room, it seemed that most others made him much younger.  My theory is that the model himself was conflicted with his age.  I have a few friends like that...who do not like getting older and try their damnest to hold on to their youth with superficial veils.

The model was gay (I'm assuming with great confidence).  He was in his fifties, with dyed brown hair, and I think it's quite possible that he had some eye work done.  I couldn't quite get confortable with him and the sculpture ended up feeling overworked and tortured.  Could it be because he passed gas and gurgle burped during his poses?  And then left during the five minute breaks and came back reeking of cigarette smoke--the deathly stench of someone who has been smoking one plus pack a day for 30 plus years.  And I don't think he liked me very much, which didn't help matters.  He would study me with neither curiosity nor admiration when the lazy Susan put us face to face.  It was unnerving.

Then superstorm Sandy arrived.  The studio was closed for over a week, and I found my poor sculpture desiccated when I visited him again.  So for this painting I created a collage with a photograph of the sculpture included alongside a sketch of an ex-lover of mine.  I love the play between the two figures, and I'm quite happy with the results.

Perhaps the brother of "Our Immaculate Lady Pigeon"?

Our Immaculate Lady Pigeon, 24" x 18", acrylic, pastel, charcoal, paper on canvas, 2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment