Sunday, August 19, 2012

Two Week Project Day One: First Draft

Before the day was out I wanted to post the image I selected from my first mini-project from the Two Weeks project.  The title of the piece is 'First Draft.'  I used the first draft of my novel.  Did I mention I wrote a novel?  (This artist is beginning to think that perhaps it wasn't such a good calling, but he won't give up trying to make it into a great novel . . . eventually.)  I also used some tools from my first round of art projects that I began in February.  So it becomes about first efforts, choices (some call them failures, mistakes, blessings, and triumphs) and being drenched, swallowed completely by your calling, and fully alive for the first time.  For more images from this shoot, visit my website in November.

First Draft, 20" x 24", C-print, 2012


If you want to do this project at home, here is what you'll need:

  • The first draft of your novel, printed double-sided on cheap paper, left on a shelf or in a box for four and a half years while you complete seven more drafts
  • a sculpture armature, preferably broken and rusted over after being used for three or more times
  • a tray of some kind
  • a large bowl of water (not pictured)
  • camera (not pictured)


1. Form the Armature so that it stands on its own and place in the tray.
2. Starting from the first page, wet each page of the novel manuscript and place on the armature.
3. When the armature breaks or falls over, re-position so that it stands on its own.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until entire novel is wet and on the armature or at its base and the sculpture stands on its own.
5. Photograph the sculpture in your choice of setting.


For information on the Two Weeks project click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment